Make the Pork Belly
- Heat oven to 350, with a very sharp knife score the skin on the pork belly. You can do straight across or diamond cuts (diagonal cuts that cross each other) but try not to cut deeper than skin level (no biggie if you do, I am not great at this part myself!)
- Rub 1 tsp salt into the cuts.
- Put on a pan with a roasting rack and roast at 350 for about 2 hours*.
- Turn up heat to 425 for 15 minutes to crisp skin. Skin should get dark and bubbled and very crisp.
- If it’s not quite there at 15 minutes, give it 5-10 more minutes. Make sure your kitchen fan is on or a window is open!
- Remove from oven and set aside.
*I make the noodles while the pork belly is roasting!
- Open bags of noodles into fine sieve, rinse very well and let drain. Set aside.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat oil and cook garlic a few minutes. Don’t let it burn.
- Add ginger, and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer, stir to combine, add noodles.
- Let simmer 5 minutes* to absorb sauce.
- Add more broth if you need more liquid. Should be a little saucy but not soupy by end of 5 minutes.
- Top with minced scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with Pork Belly on side.
*while noodles simmer is a good time to slice pork belly – the crispy skin is crispy! You’ll want a sharp knife.